Monday, August 15, 2011

NEW VIDEO: "Skyscraper" - Acoustic Cover Featuring Megan Nicole

I'll be honest. When people first started talking about Demi Levato's "Skyscraper" I went to YouTube to see what all the fuss was about, and I just wasn't feelin' it. I'm not a fan of her voice, and therefore I didn't even give the song a chance. I thought the lyrics were cheesy as hell. When Boyce Avenue hinted at a cover collaboration of the song with Megan Nicole, I thought, "Meh...." and when it became available for purchase on iTunes, I listened to the 60-second snippet and thought, "Well, there it is....the first Boyce Avenue cover I won't own."

When the video was posted on YouTube this morning, I watched it because, well, it's a Boyce Avenue video.

I absolutely fell in love with this song in spite of myself. I went to iTunes. I bought the cover. I've had it on repeat all day. And the more I listen to it, the more I love it.

A little over a year ago, I went through a divorce. It had been coming for a while, but even so, it left me feeling completely shattered. It was one of the loneliest, darkest times of my life. Rather than give in to the darkness, I fought through it. I endured it. I am a better, stronger person for having gone through it. And THAT is what this song is about.



Rihanna's "Only Girl" ....Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" and "Firework" ....P Diddy's "Comin' Home" ....these are some of my favorite covers from Boyce Avenue. But this one trumps them all. I love everything about it.

Once again, Alejandro has taken a song and put his own spin on it, keeping it true to the original but making it his own at the same time. I'm continually impressed by his ability to do this. If I could spend a day just chilling with and talking to Alejandro, I would ask him to take me through this process in great detail. He's so creative in his use of instruments. I really love the Cajon and the tambourine in this one. They are used brilliantly.

Alejandro and Megan Nicole sound great together.

But my favorite part has got to be final chorus....Alejandro singing A capella, the Cajon coming in like a heartbeat, and then the two of them finishing the song together, is pure genius.

In retrospect, I'm not really sure what I was thinking. I should know better by now. Once a song has been Boyced, it doesn't matter how mediocre I think the original is. It doesn't matter how cheesy I think the lyrics are. Without fail, if Boyce Avenue covers it, my entire opinion of the song changes.

Okay....I think I'm done gushing about Boyce Avenue's latest masterpiece. So, what do you think of it? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

1 comment:

  1. I was actually listening to this song when I started reading. How crazy is that? LOL Great post, thank you. I like the heartbeat at the end... it's genius. :) Not to mention Yandi- A Capella. hubba hubba. heh. hugs!
    Lexxa~

    ReplyDelete

KEEP IT CLEAN | RESPECT EACH OTHER | STAY ON TOPIC

(Comments that are disrespectful, off-topic, or contain profanity may be removed at the Admin's discretion. Spam will be removed without exception.)