Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New Year. New Covers. New Video. New Acoustic Sessions. BOOM.

Boyce Avenue has kicked the New Year off with a bang!! They're currently touring in Europe with One Direction, and today they released their first video of the year: an absolutely incredible acoustic cover of Bruno Mars' It Will Rain.

The Bruno Mars cover, and an acoustic cover of Adele's Someone Like You, were released earlier this week on iTunes as the first two songs on the New Acoustic Sessions, Volume 3 album....Boyce Avenue's tenth album of acoustic covers.

I actually really like this song a lot. I love the lyrics and the emotion behind them. I knew that Alejandro would put his spin on it and make it amazing. But I was not prepared for how much I was gonna love it.

My initial reaction was just


....then I remembered to breathe.

I sat listening to it over and over and over again. And I found myself thinking, "Seriously?!  How does he manage to do this with every single song he sings?!?! "

Seriously.  The guy is crazy talented.  He never ceases to amaze me.  Ever.

The guitar is so pretty with the delay and the reverb.....the lyrics are desperate and emotional, and the angst in Alejandro's voice is SO fitting for them.....wait....is that.....yep....sure enough....he's beatboxing again. So awesome. :)

And that bass note he hits at the end of the chorus with the last "whooooooooo" (listen for it at about 1:42 and again at 3:14....wow, it just moves through me and gives me goosebumps.

Then he gets all into it in the bridge, and the echo of his "Don't you say goodbye...." is a nice subtle touch.







I know, right?!?! AMAZING.  Yeah, this one is an instant favorite. No question.

This isn't the first time Boyce Avenue has taken a Bruno Mars song and Boyced it.  Let's take a look, shall we?


October 10, 2010 - Just The Way You Are

This is one of those songs that I really did not like at all until Boyce Avenue covered it. And there's so much to love about this video. Daniel on the piano? Awesome. Fabian playing with his eyes closed, totally into the music? Adorable. The way Alejandro gets really into it and belts out the lyrics at the 3-minute mark? The control he displays? Un-freaking-believable.




February 10, 2011 - Grenade

Nothing but Alejandro singing and Daniel on the violin....man, this is just epic in every way. Alejandro's intensity at the 3:05 mark gives me goosebumps. Every. Single. Time.



And then there's this one....

February 27, 2011 - Nothin' On You/My Love/Rocketeer

I could write an entire post about why I love this one so much.

-- The mash-up of these three songs is just freaking genius.

-- The video was filmed at The Vera Project here in Seattle. Great venue dedicated to artists and the community.  Extra cool points to the guys for using it for one of their videos.

-- Everything about this cover and this video is just so damn sexy....The guitar....that falsetto?  (Are you freaking kidding me?)  I get completely lost in this song every time I listen to it.

-- When Alejandro starts into Rocketeer at 3:11, I just melt....and the way he sings, "Oh, oh, let's flyyyyyy....." at 3:37....it kills me. Not gonna lie. It takes my perfectly-harmless-and-not-at-all-inappropriate crush to a whole new level.

This one is, by far, one of my favorite covers.



I know I sound like a broken record, but I love these guys so much.  They are so incredibly talented.  I have yet to meet someone who isn't impressed by them.  I am so excited to see what they have in store for us in 2012, but if this latest video is any indication of what is to come, it's going to be a very, very good year indeed.  :)


Just The Way You Are, Grenade and Nothin' On You/My Love/Rocketeer are available on New Acoustic Sessions, Volume 1.  Click here to purchase them on iTunes.


It Will Rain is available on New Acoustic Sessions, Volume 3. Click here to purchase it on iTunes.

3 comments:

  1. I wanted to thank you for this great post!! I enjoyed every little bit of it, I have you bookmarked and waiting for all the new stuff you post.
    Chevrolet Prizm AC Compressor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, aisha!! Glad you enjoyed it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man. I know this isn't a competition, but how am I ever going to top this post?? Hahaha =))
    my first reaction was pause. scream. clear throat. scream again. flail. repeat. I am still incoherent LOL.
    I love this, Mel! ♥

    ReplyDelete

KEEP IT CLEAN | RESPECT EACH OTHER | STAY ON TOPIC

(Comments that are disrespectful, off-topic, or contain profanity may be removed at the Admin's discretion. Spam will be removed without exception.)